Archie Paint Glossary - G

Archie Paint Glossary - G

Archie Paint Glossary G The following glossary contains terms used commonly in the paint and coatings industry to describe the characteristics, usage and components of paints and coatings.

Results for "G"
Galvanized A ferrous metal that is covered with zinc by immersion or electroplating to protect it from rusting. 

Galvanic action
An electrical process by which corrosive elements are leached from one metal substance and attracted to another.

Galvanic Anode
A metal which, when properly connected to metallic structures of different composition, will generate an electric current

Galvanic Corrosion
Corrosion associated with the current of a galvanic cell made up of dissimilar electrodes.

Galvanic Series
A list of metals arranged according to their relative corrosion potentials, in some specific environment.

Galvanized mesh
A material coated with zinc that is often used to make chain link.

To coat a metal with a thin layer of zinc to prevent rust. Galvanized nails are ideal for installing skylights, windows and exterior doors because of their superior strengthand corrosion-resistance.

Gapped seam
A small space between adjacent strips of wallpaper. Causes include improperly prepared walls, excessive force during installation and improper factory trimming.

Garnet sandpaper
An orange-colored sandpaper that is popular for sanding wood by hand.

Gas Crazing
The fine checking, wrinkling or frosting, of a tung oil or varnish film under certain drying conditions. It is said to be caused by rapid absorption of oxygen on the surface or by the presence of impurities in the atmosphere. Also termed "gas checking".

Gate strike
A piece attached to either side of the fence and to either the post or the gate. It keeps the gate from swinging past its closure point and bending the hinges.

Gateleg table
A drop-leaf table supported by a gate-like leg that folds or swings out.

A freestanding structure intended to offer a panoramic view of the surrounding scenery.

A coating which has thickened to a jelly like consistency making it unusable.

General lighting
Lighting that provides overall brightness for an area.

Geometric patterns
Any pattern or design characterized by straight lines, triangles, circles, and so on.

An architectural and decorative style popular in America during the late eighteenth century, with rooms characterized by the systematic use of paneling, other classically inspired woodwork and bold colors.

Non-uniform sheen of paint resulting in a shadowed effect. Usually caused by lack of a primer or sealer, or poor quality ones.

An asphaltite, one of the purest natural bitumens. The specific gravity is 1.05 to 1.10. It is used in japan and other varnishes and for waterproofing.

Glass block
Building blocks made of translucent glass used for non-load-bearing walls to allow passage of light.

Glass cutter
Pencil-shaped metal tool, at one end of which is a wheel-shaped cutter used for scoring glass or glazed ceramic tile.

Glass Transition Temperature (Tg)
The temperature at which a material changes from a soft, rubbery state to a more brittle state.

A paint or colorant mixed with a transparent medium and diluted with a thinner compatible with the medium.

Glazed tile
Ceramic or masonry tile with an impervious, glossy surface.

Glazier's points
Small wedges of metal most commonly used to hold a pane of glass in a window frame; also inserted between floorboards to silence squeaks.

Glass or plastic, translucent or transparent, used in walls to permit vision and/or the passage of solar light and heat.

Glazing Compound
A putty used to set glass in window frames and to fill nail holes and cracks.

The luster or shininess of paints and coatings. Different types of gloss are frequently arbitrarily differentiated, such as sheen, distinctness-of-image gloss, etc. Trade practice recognizes the following gloss levels, in increasing order of gloss:flat (or matte)-- practically free from sheen, even when viewed from oblique angles (usually less than 15 on 60-degree meter); eggshell-- usually 20-35 on 60-degree meter; semi-gloss--usually 35-70 on 60-degree meter; full-gloss--smooth and almost mirror-like surface when viewed from all angles, usually above 70 on 60-degree meter.

Gloss Meter
A device for measuring the light reflectance of coatings. Different brands with the same description (such as semi-gloss or flat) may have quite different ratings on the gloss meter.

Gloss Retention
The ability of a coating to maintain its gloss - pertains especially to semi-gloss and gloss exterior coatings.

Glossy finish
The appearance of sheen after a paint or finish dries.

Glycol Ether
A group of relatively slow evaporating, strong solvents commonly utilized in epoxy coatings.

Gothic revival
An architectural and decorative style popular in America during the mid-nineteenth century. It romanticized the design vocabulary of the medieval period, using elements such as pointed arches and trefoils (three-leaf motifs).

Painting in opaque watercolour. The pigment have a gum binder, and the filler is invariably some form of opaque white (such as clay or barite) which gives a typical 'chalky' look even to dark hue.

The direction and arrangement of wood fibers in a piece of wood. Grain reflects the growth-ring pattern in the tree. The grain will look different in different woods and as a result of different sawing techniques.

Grain cracking
Cracking of a coating, parallel to the grain of the wood substance. 

Grain raising
The swelling and standing up of short, broken fibers of wood caused by absorption of a liquid. Water is particularly inclined to cause this. 

Graining comb
A flexible steel or plastic device with random-sixed tines or teeth. It is dragged through wet glaze or paint to create striated or grained surfaces. A common hair comb makes a workable substitute.

Grape arbor
An arbor that provides gardening space for a crop of grapes, as well as shade and protection.

Gray silicone-carbide sandpaper
A sandpaper which contains zinc stearate, a soap-like lubricant, making it easier to sand finishes without using an additional lubricant.

Greek revival
An architectural and decorative style that drew inspiration from ancient Greek designs. Its dignified motifs, such as the Greek key and acanthus, and classical elements, such as pediments and columns, became popular in America as symbols that embodied the idea of democracy.

Green lumber
Often called garden-grade lumber because it is stacked outside in a lumberyard. Has a higher moisture content and is usually less expensive than kiln-dried or air-dried lumber. It is also easier to nail, but it will shrink as it dries, causing nails to loosen and gaps to appear between boards.

The dispersion of particles (usually pigments) in a coating. Usually measured in particle size.

A measure of the roughness of an abrasive paper. The lower the figure given for the grit size, the coarser the paper.

Grit Blasting
Abrasive blasting using grit as the blasting media.

Grit rating/Grit number
The coarseness or texture roughness of sandpaper. The higher the number, the finer the grit.

A channel cut into a piece of wood that runs with the grain.

Ground coating
An acrylic coating on the upper surface of the wallpaper substrate. The ground coating is usually an off-white or a colored surface.

The fine-particle cement filler in the seams between ceramic tiles. It is available either ready-mixed or as dry powder that is mixed with water, and comes in a wide range of colors to match or complement any tiles.

A mineral (calcium sulfate) that, after processing, forms the core of drywall panels.

Share this post to :

Blog, Updated at: 10:17 PM
back to top